Want to have a safe garage? There are a number of things which can happen, causing garage door failures, bodily injury and harm to your belongings, all because of improperly handled garage doors. Don’t let your unsafe handling get in the way of your garage’s purpose; storage, and follow these tips to garage door safety.
- Make sure your garage door opener remote is out of reach of small children. Prevent them from playing with the garage door remote controls, or entering the area without your permission. Injury from descending garage doors is possible, and can seriously hurt your child.
- Take the time to read your owner’s manual and learn how to use the garage door’s emergency release feature in the eventuality of any issues or emergencies.
- Visually inspect the garage door and all internal mechanisms every month. Take a look at all parts: springs, rollers, pulleys, cables and more for signs of wear, degradation and fault. Make sure that unless you have the necessary know-how, you don’t attempt to replace or repair and visible damages on your own. These parts are generally under high tension and can potentially be dangerous when touched or prodded.
- Test the door’s reversing mechanisms regularly. If your door doesn’t have an auto-reverse function, it’s absolutely time for an upgrade. You can test the auto-reverse by pacing a roll of paper towels, or block of wood in the door’s path. If the door doesn’t reverse upon touching the object in it’s path, you’re going to need to repair this function.
- Make sure when operating to never place your fingers between door sections, and take the time to explain the dangers to your children if you have them. We recommend opting for garage doors which don’t have door section panels if you are installing a new door in a home with children.
- Don’t partially open your garage door, and make sure you’re leaving your door closed when you’re leaving the vicinity of your home.
- Opt for openers with the safety features necessary to keep your home and belongings safe. While on vacation, unplug the opener or use a vacation lock switch which is standard in the operation of most openers made after 2005. Never leave your opener remote in an accessible spot, and change your home access codes regularly to prevent break-ins.
- Make sure you call a technician right away should you encounter problems you don’t know how to solve.
Fix It Right Garage Doors has been in the industry for years, meaning that when it comes to experienced garage door repairs within the GTA, we are your best bet. Our company offers reliable diagnosis, effective repairs and service of all major garage door brands. In addition, our service vehicles are stocked with a huge amount of replacement parts, for immediate replacements and repairs! Our technicians are capable of helping you with virtually any repair, so call us today for Greater Toronto Area repairs, replacements and installations. We operate anywhere in the vicinity, from: Mississauga, Oakville, Hamilton, Kitchener, Brampton, North York, Vaughan, Scarborough, Downtown Toronto to further. Call today for a reduced service fee!